The conceptual model of causal pathways characterises the causal pathway, the logical chain of events ‒ either planned or unplanned ‒ that link coal resource development and potential impacts on water and water-dependent assets. This section details the specific application to the Maranoa-Balonne-Condamine of methods described in the companion submethodology M05 (as listed in Table 1) for developing a conceptual model of causal pathways (Henderson et al., 2016).
Key concepts and terminology are also explained, and the overall steps are summarised: (i) synthesis of the key system components, processes and interactions for the geology, hydrogeology and surface water of the subregion; (ii) landscape classification; (iii) definition of the baseline coal resource development (baseline) and the coal resource development pathway (CRDP); (iv) hazard analysis; and (v) description of the resulting causal pathways from the coal resource development to hydrological change, for the baseline and CRDP.
The approach taken in the Maranoa-Balonne-Condamine subregion has leveraged existing state-based resources and knowledge of geological, surface water, groundwater and ecological conceptual models. Notably, the Office of Groundwater Impact Assessment (OGIA) regional groundwater flow model was revised for the bioregional assessment (BA) to also simulate water-related impacts of coal mine development in the regional groundwater systems. The causal pathways were finalised following discussion with stakeholders at the ‘Conceptual modelling of causal pathways’ workshop held in July 2015.
Product Finalisation date
- 2.3.1 Methods
- 2.3.2 Summary of key system components, processes and interactions
- 2.3.3 Ecosystems
- 2.3.4 Baseline and coal resource development pathway
- 22.214.171.124 Developing the coal resource development pathway
- 126.96.36.199 Water management for the coal resource developments
- 188.8.131.52 Gaps
- 2.3.5 Conceptual model of causal pathways
- 184.108.40.206 Methodology
- 220.127.116.11 Hazard analysis
- 18.104.22.168 Causal pathways
- 22.214.171.124 Gaps
- Contributors to the Technical Programme
- About this technical product