The input climate data used in the model were daily time series of maximum temperature, minimum temperature, incoming solar radiation and precipitation from 1953 to 2012 at 0.05 x 0.05 degrees (~5 x 5 km) grid cells from the gridded data generated by the Bureau of Meteorology (Dataset 1).
The streamflow data used for model calibration include daily streamflow data from nine unregulated streamflow gauging stations collated by the Bureau of Meteorology (Dataset 2) (Figure 7). Out of the nine, six contribute to the Richmond river basin, including Coopers Creek at Repentance (calibration gauging station 203002), Richmond River at Wiangaree (calibration gauging station 203005), Leycester Creek at Rock Valley (calibration gauging station 203010), Wilsons River at Eltham (calibration gauging station 203014), Myrtle Creek at Rappville (calibration gauging station 203030), and Shannon Brook at Yorklea (calibration gauging station 203040). Of the remaining catchments, one is in the Tweed river basin (calibration gauging station 201005), and two are in the Clarence river basin (calibration gauging stations 204043 and 204067).
Criteria for selecting the calibration streamflow gauging stations include that they:
- have long-term streamflow measurements (>20 years from 1980)
- are not impacted by coal mining or coal seam gas extraction
- have no significant streamflow regulation (e.g. dams)
- are not nested
- are close to the Richmond river basin and have similar areas and climate regimes.
Boundaries for the contributing areas for nine streamflow gauging stations were delineated using the (Bureau of Meteorology, Dataset 3).
AWRA = Australian Water Resources Assessment; AWRA-L = AWRA landscape model; PAE = preliminary assessment extent
Product Finalisation date
- 18.104.22.168 Methods
- 22.214.171.124 Review of existing models
- 126.96.36.199 Model development
- 188.8.131.52 Calibration
- 184.108.40.206 Uncertainty
- 220.127.116.11 Prediction
- 18.104.22.168.1 Annual flow (AF)
- 22.214.171.124.2 Interquartile range (IQR)
- 126.96.36.199.3 Daily streamflow at the 99th percentile (P99)
- 188.8.131.52.4 Flood (high-flow) days (FD)
- 184.108.40.206.5 Daily streamflow at the 1st percentile (P01)
- 220.127.116.11.6 Low-flow days (LFD)
- 18.104.22.168.7 Low-flow spells (LFS)
- 22.214.171.124.8 Longest low-flow spell (LLFS)
- 126.96.36.199.9 Zero-flow days (ZFD)
- 188.8.131.52.10 Summary and conclusions
- Contributors to the Technical Programme
- About this technical product