To facilitate the development of infrastructure required for the Galilee Basin coal mines, the Queensland Government declared the Galilee Basin State Development Area (GBSDA) in June 2014 (DSDIP, 2014b). According to the Queensland Government, the GBSDA will assist in properly planning and coordinating the development of the coal mines and associated infrastructure in the Galilee Basin, including the six most advanced coal mining projects currently planned. The GBSDA seeks to lower upfront development costs to help stimulate development of the coal resources in the southern and central basin (DSDIP, 2013).
As part of the GBSDA, the Queensland Government has announced their preferred options for the rail corridors proposed by various companies as part of integrated mine-rail-port developments in the Galilee Basin. These are:
- An approximately 500 m wide east–west corridor to extend the existing QR rail network from near Moranbah to the central Galilee Basin, and provide links to coal ports at Abbott Point, Dalrymple Bay and Dudgeon Point. This is consistent with the rail network extension proposed by Adani Mining to service the Carmichael coal mine (Section 18.104.22.168.4), and would also likely be used by the proposed China Stone coal mine (and any others within the central Galilee Basin that may be developed in the future).
- An approximately 500 m wide north–south rail corridor consistent with the rail alignment proposed by GVK Hancock (22.214.171.124.1) to link proposed mines in the southern Galilee Basin (such as Alpha and Kevin’s Corner) to the coal port at Abbott Point.
Given the preference of the GBSDA to favour development of these two rail lines, the future of other proposed rail networks previously outlined in this section (such as that proposed by Waratah Coal for the China First Coal Mine) is currently uncertain.
Further information about the Galilee Basin State Development Area and the proposed framework for infrastructure options including rail, roads, water, ports and power is available from the Queensland Government (DSDIP, 2014b).
Product Finalisation date
- 1.2.1 Available coal and coal seam gas resources
- 1.2.2 Current activity and tenements
- 1.2.3 Proposals and exploration
- 126.96.36.199 Coal
- 188.8.131.52.1 Alpha Coal Project
- 184.108.40.206.2 Kevin's Corner Coal Project
- 220.127.116.11.3 China First Coal Project
- 18.104.22.168.4 Carmichael Coal Mine and Rail Project
- 22.214.171.124.5 South Galilee Coal Project
- 126.96.36.199.6 China Stone Coal Project
- 188.8.131.52.7 Alpha North Coal Project
- 184.108.40.206.8 Clyde Park Coal Project
- 220.127.116.11.9 Alpha West Coal Project
- 18.104.22.168.10 Carmichael East Coal Project
- 22.214.171.124.11 West Pentland Coal Project
- 126.96.36.199.12 Pentland Coal Project
- 188.8.131.52.13 Degulla Coal Project
- 184.108.40.206.14 Hyde Park Coal Project
- 220.127.116.11.15 Blackall Coal Project
- 18.104.22.168.16 Regional coal exploration in Galilee Basin
- 22.214.171.124.17 Galilee Basin State Development Area
- 126.96.36.199 Coal seam gas
- 188.8.131.52 Coal
- 1.2.4 Catalogue of potential resource developments
- Appendix A
- Contributors to the Technical Programme
- About this technical product