- Bioregional Assessment Program
- Hunter subregion
- 1.2 Resource assessment for the Hunter subregion
The coal and coal seam gas resource assessment for the Hunter subregion summarises the known coal and coal seam gas resources and developments as at November 2015.
The information found in this product is used to develop the coal resource development pathway.
Coal and coal seam gas resources
Coal and coal seam gas resources in the Hunter subregion are contained within the Hunter, Newcastle and Western coalfields of the geological Sydney Basin.
The major economic coal seams mined in the Hunter Coalfield are part of the Greta and the Wittingham coal measures, and in the Newcastle Coalfield the Greta, Tomago and the Newcastle coal measures contain extensive resources. Most of the coal produced from the Western Coalfield is contained in three main economic units within the Illawarra Coal Measures: the Lithgow Coal, Ulan Coal and the Katoomba Coal members.
Studies have suggested that the northern, western and southern parts of the Sydney Basin contain carbon dioxide–rich gases at depth. The Hunter Coalfield has been well studied for coal seam gas resources, while there have been limited studies in the Newcastle and Western coalfields.
Current activity and tenements
Both open cut and underground mining are undertaken across the subregion, although around the coastal lakes, operations are underground.
As at May 2015 there were 25 operating coal mines, including seven complexes in the Hunter subregion. The seven complexes are: Bulga, Donaldson, Hunter Valley Operations, Mount Arthur, Mount Owen, Ravensworth and Ulan.
Six mines were in care and maintenance or had recently closed.
No coal seam gas is currently produced in the Hunter subregion, although a number of wells have been drilled for exploration.
Proposals and exploration
As at November 2015 there were 27 proposals to extend or expand existing operations and 15 proposals to initiate new mines. New coal mines included developments such as the Bylong Coal Project, in the Upper Bylong Valley 95 kilometres from Mudgee.
As at November 2015 coal seam gas activities had been limited to exploration studies in the Hunter subregion.
- 1.2.1 Available coal and coal seam gas resources
- 1.2.2 Current activity and tenements
- 18.104.22.168 Coal
- 22.214.171.124.1 Awaba Colliery
- 126.96.36.199.2 Cumnock Mine
- 188.8.131.52.3 Mannering Colliery
- 184.108.40.206.4 Newstan
- 220.127.116.11.5 Ravensworth Underground Mine
- 18.104.22.168.6 Westside Coal Mine
- 22.214.171.124.7 Ashton Coal Mine
- 126.96.36.199.8 Austar Coal Mine
- 188.8.131.52.9 Bengalla Coal Mine
- 184.108.40.206.10 Bloomfield Coal Mine
- 220.127.116.11.11 Bulga Coal Complex
- 18.104.22.168.12 Chain Valley Colliery
- 22.214.171.124.13 Donaldson Coal Complex
- 126.96.36.199.14 Drayton Mine
- 188.8.131.52.15 Hunter Valley Operations
- 184.108.40.206.16 Integra
- 220.127.116.11.17 Liddell
- 18.104.22.168.18 Mandalong Mine
- 22.214.171.124.19 Mangoola Coal Mine
- 126.96.36.199.20 Moolarben
- 188.8.131.52.21 Mount Arthur Coal Mine Complex
- 184.108.40.206.22 Mount Owen Complex
- 220.127.116.11.23 Mount Thorley–Warkworth
- 18.104.22.168.24 Muswellbrook Coal Mine
- 22.214.171.124.25 Myuna Colliery
- 126.96.36.199.26 Ravensworth Complex
- 188.8.131.52.27 Rix's Creek Mine
- 184.108.40.206.28 Ulan
- 220.127.116.11.29 Wambo Mine Complex
- 18.104.22.168.30 West Wallsend Colliery
- 22.214.171.124.31 Wilpinjong Coal Mine
- 126.96.36.199 Coal seam gas
- 188.8.131.52 Coal
- 1.2.3 Proposals and exploration
- 184.108.40.206 Coal
- 220.127.116.11.1 Bickham Coal Project
- 18.104.22.168.2 Bulga Coal Optimisation Project and Blakefield North Underground Mine
- 22.214.171.124.3 Bylong Coal Project
- 126.96.36.199.4 Chain Valley Modification 1
- 188.8.131.52.5 Dellworth Project
- 184.108.40.206.6 Doyles Creek
- 220.127.116.11.7 Drayton South Coal Project
- 18.104.22.168.8 Drayton Mine Extension Project
- 22.214.171.124.9 Ferndale Project
- 126.96.36.199.10 Kayuga Project
- 188.8.131.52.11 Mandalong Southern Extension
- 184.108.40.206.12 Mangoola Coal Exploration Program
- 220.127.116.11.13 Mannering Colliery Modification 2
- 18.104.22.168.14 Mitchells Flat Project
- 22.214.171.124.15 Monash Deposit
- 126.96.36.199.16 Mount Owen Continued Operations Project
- 188.8.131.52.17 Mount Penny Deposit
- 184.108.40.206.18 Mount Pleasant Mine Project
- 220.127.116.11.19 Spur Hill Project
- 18.104.22.168.20 Wallarah 2
- 22.214.171.124.21 West Muswellbrook Project
- 126.96.36.199 Coal seam gas
- 188.8.131.52 Coal
- 1.2.4 Catalogue of potential resource developments
- Contributors to the Technical Programme
- About this technical product