Data and information required for the water accounts for the Gwydir subregion are primarily held in the National Groundwater Information System (Bureau of Meteorology, 2014). The information that would be required for a water account includes:
- location, elevation and construction information for all groundwater bores
- geological logs of groundwater bores
- groundwater volumes held in aquifers
- groundwater trading volumes
- groundwater entitlements, allocations and use, including groundwater for industrial use and town water supply.
Data and information can also be sourced from the groundwater works database held by the NSW Office of Water (NSW Office of Water, 2014a) and documented in water sharing plans (NSW Office of Water, 2014b).