Sedimentary deposits of the southern Taroom Trough (refer to Figure 18 of companion product 1.1.3 for the Gwydir subregion (Welsh et al., 2014)) are the only Bowen Basin strata within the Gwydir subregion. Coals of the Bowen Basin in northern NSW are hosted within the Kianga Formation (Othman and Ward, 2002, p. 147), formally referred to by the same name as its equivalent, the Late Permian Baralaba Coal Measures of the Blackwater Group (refer to Figure 19 of companion product 1.1.3 for the Gwydir subregion (Welsh et al., 2014)) in southern Queensland (Geoscience Australia, 2014). However, only limited published information is available on the distribution and properties of coal resources in the Bowen Basin in northern NSW.
Product Finalisation date
- 1.2.1 Available coal and coal seam gas resources
- 1.2.2 Current activity and tenements
- 1.2.3 Proposals and exploration
- 1.2.4 Catalogue of potential resource developments
- Contributors to the Technical Programme
- About this technical product